Economic Support Programs

FoodShare (FS): Provides FoodShare to most households that meet certain financial and non-financial requirements helping low-income families and individuals to buy nutritious food.

How to Apply

You can apply online at, by phone (Great Rivers Consortium @ 1-888-283-0012), by mail, by fax, or in person. If you choose to apply by mail or by fax, complete the FoodShare Application (F-16019B). You can get the application online at or from your agency.

Send the signed and completed application, along with any required proof (see Apendix:D Required Proof/Verification on page 60), to:

If you live in Milwaukee County, use the following address:

PO Box 05676
Milwaukee, WI 53205
Or fax: 1-888-409-1979

If you do not live in Milwaukee County, use the following address:

PO Box 5234
Janesville, WI 53547-5234
Or fax: 1-855-293-1822

Everyone who applies for FoodShare must have an interview. The interview will be done by phone unless you want your interview in person at your local agency.

You will be notified of the status of your application in writing within 30 days from the day your agency gets your application unless you qualify for Priority FoodShare Services.

BadgerCare Plus (BC+):  BadgerCare Plus (BC+) is a state/federal program that provides health coverage for Wisconsin families and individuals living in poverty.  Potential BC+ members will include:  children under 19 years of age, pregnant women, parents and caretakers of children under 18 and dependent 18 year olds, parents and caretakers relatives whose children have been removed from the home and placed in out-of-home care, former foster care youth under age 26 who were in out-of-home care when they turned 18, and effective April 1, 2014, adults ages 19-64 who are not receiving Medicare and do not have dependent children. 
Family Planning Only Services (FPOS):  provides family planning services and supplies for men and women ages 15 and older who are at or below 200% of the federal poverty level (FPL).  The purpose of this plan is to stop unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).  For more information, click on Family Planning Only Services heading at beginning of this paragraph.

Medicaid (MA):  Wisconsin’s ForwardHealth Medicaid plans for Elderly, Blind or Disabled provide health care for those who are age 65 or older, blind or disabled, with income at or below the monthly program limit, and who are United States citizens or legal immigrants. 

Family Care (FC):  is a comprehensive and flexible long-term care service system, which strives to foster people’s independence and qualify of life, while recognizing the need for interdependence and support. 

Wisconsin Shares – Child Care Subsidy Program helps families with the cost of childcare while their parents are at work, work and school, and/or participating in a work program. 

Caretaker Supplement (CTS):  Wisconsin Caretaker Supplement (CTS) is a cash benefit available to parents who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.  Caretaker Supplement is not a Medicaid benefit; it pays cash only to eligible parents. 

To complete an online application for any of the programs listed above, click here.

Wisconsin Home Energy Plus ProgramsAssists in paying heat costs for low-income households.  A one time per heating season payment is issued to the fuel/electric providers.  Crisis assistance is available to persons who have already received their regular payment but have an emergency fuel need or a problem with their heating unit.  For general information and or to apply, click on heading above to download a printable brochure, application, and checklist here and submit the application and verification items to the Economic Support Unit.